Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Post Post Script

Have you seen the latest Yahoo! headline? LA is rationing water due to a three year drought. "What does that mean?", you might ask. There are too damn many people in LA using too much water. There isn't enough fresh water on Earth to support continued population growth. Here in Amarillo, our primary supply of water, Lake Meredith, is about 50 feet below normal. I remember constantly seeing reports of Edwards Aquifer depths on the SA news stations growing up. I once even got a warning for washing my car during a period of water rationing when I was in high school. During the summer months, as much as 40% of water use goes towards watering lawns. Aren't there some better uses for all that fresh water? What can you do to use less water? Our family's favorite saying about water conservation is, "If it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down". Build a rainwater catchment system at your house. If you have gutters, buy a few 50 gallon plastic barrels and catch water under your gutter spouts for use in watering your lawn and garden. Plant drought resistant plants and grass, or better yet, use xeriscaping to completely do away with the need for watering your yard. If population growth continues, the day will soon come when all major cities will need to start rationing water. Remember Atlanta last summer? Imagine what would happen with a prolonged drought in central Texas. Last year was bad enough, a year or two more of the same weather patterns could cause some serious concerns for all you central Texans. Anyway, I was just sharing my thoughts on the latest headlines.

6 comments:

mp said...

a ticket for washing your car? that nuts!

maybe you should let your hair grow out because you spend way too much time in the shower shaving. that would be funny sight. a hairy adam.....

Rachel E. said...

Well, I just stopped showering. How's that for water conservation? Granted, I stink....

And I vote to see a hairy Adam...wait, that sounded wrong. I mean, I vote to see Adam with hair on his head. That would be really funny, I bet. :)

AP said...

come on, I need more.
MP

Tiffany said...

It's totally scary. As much as I long to move back to the Southwest I am kind of scared of what the water situation would be in 10-20 years. I don't want to be a 60 year old grandma diggin' in the dirt hoping I'll find some water.

Anonymous said...

25mg sumycin Without prescription effexor Drug lipitor Visa/Mastercard/Amex/eCheck norplant No prescription accutane Cheap bactrim

Anonymous said...

I just want to say Hi to Everyone!